What is a ground screw?
A ground screw is a modern, eco-friendlier foundation solution that replaces the need for concrete foundations. They are galvanised steel screws of different diameters and lengths designed to act as a strong, secure, and durable foundation to support various structures that are attached to the screws from above. A ground screw can also be called a ground screw anchor, earth screw, ground anchor, foundation screw, and grounding screw.
We believe in our products and back the structural integrity of every screw with a 35-year guarantee based on typical soil conditions. Each screw or extendable screw pile has a different load capacity and dimensions, but all have a long lifespan of 60+ years.
Our screws and brackets are manufactured under EN ISO 9001:2015 quality management systems and finished following BS EN ISO 1461:2009.
Our ground screw range
We have a ground screw for whatever project you are building
We maintain high stock levels in our UK-based warehouses, with teams ready to supply our customers with immediate dispatch. Our standard attachments allow you to build any structure on top of our foundation screws, but if you need a customised solution, we can manufacture it for you. Please speak with us directly to ensure you choose the correct solution, as foundations are the most crucial part of any build.
Why use ground screw foundations for your project?
Screw foundations are quickly becoming the sustainable solution that is replacing concrete. There are many advantages of ground screws and screw piles. Here are a few:
Why choose a RADIX Ground Screw?
We know we offer unrivalled quality, supply and service, on top of a 35-year guarantee and long lifespan, but we prefer to let our customers speak for themselves.
All we have is good things to say. Everything from project planning, analysis, advice and installation is in place with RADIX. It isn’t easy to find good partners in any industry, so having one here that goes beyond the parameters of expectation is incredible.
Fantastic to work with. Since I started dealing with Radix for all my equipment and ground screw stock, communication has always been fantastic. Always happy to help if I need advice and super fast turn around when I need a delivery quick.
We buy all our screws and equipment directly from Radix to do our own installations for our building company in Sweden. In our opinion Radix is the best ground screw company in the UK.
We are a garden room design and build company and a ground screws installer. We have worked with other suppliers but we picked RADIX because the range and quality of their screws is excellent and they also supply a very high quality range of installation equipment.
Ensuring strength, durability and reliability through extensive quality controls
Every product range we have is rigorously checked for quality, durability and strength. We can firmly stand by what we claim our screws do, and why we stand out in a crowded market.
Do not risk the foundations of anything you are building with inferior screws or fundaments. Demand the technical information that proves their quality.
Ground screw installations
From the moment we engage with you, right through to handing over to the team who will complete your building project, we will work tirelessly to meet your needs.
To select the best screws for your private or commercial project, we need to gather detailed information about your project, do a site survey and load-testing and then do our calculations to provide the empirical evidence of which screw is best suited.
On the day of the installation, we prepare the ground above and below, pre-drill if required, line up the screws and install them quickly using our range of ground screw machines. The entire process is extremely efficient and once the foundations are in they can instantly support the structure you are placing on top of them.
What can you build on ground screw foundations?
Most structures, fixtures and buildings can be built on range of screws. There will be some structures that are more suited to other types of foundations like high-rise apartment blocks, large scale infrastructure projects or something with an extremely high-load capacities.
SIP buildings, temporary offices and classrooms, playground equipment, fences, decking, solar arrays… The list is endless.
Speak with us, and we can evaluate your project, and see its suitability for screw foundations.
Ground screw cost
The price of a screw will vary depending on its design, length and capabilities. Please contact us so we can evaluate your project, help you choose the best solution, and give you an exact quotation for the price of the screws you will need.
Why would you build on concrete when you have ground screw foundations available?
RADIX’s low-carbon foundations are an alternative to concrete, but they are faster and simpler to install, and more sustainable, thus delivering a smarter solution for you.
We know they are durable, climate-friendly and more cost-effective, and you don’t have to prepare the ground, dig large holes, cast your own supports and wait an age for them to cure… You screw them in, attach the structure, and you’re done!
RADIX is the leading ground screw company and supplier to all types of businesses throughout the UK
As the UK’s largest manufacturer, stockist, and supplier of sustainable foundations, we collaborate on small and large projects, with a variety of companies nationwide and abroad.
Our clients come from many different sectors, and the array of projects we support is diverse. If you are a garden room company, a house builder, renewable energy company, a local joiner, or another type of business that could benefit from collaborating with us, contact us, and lets see how we can help each other.
Our job is to make your life easier and deliver a cost-effective solution to help your business.
We have an attachment for anything you want to build
Whatever you are building, we will help you choose the best type of screw and attachment that you will need to secure your structure. Beam brackets, post brackets, L-supports amongst others, and if you need a bespoke attachment, we can manufacture it for you.
Our screws can be used to anchor decking, sheds, garden and security fences, flagpoles, noise barriers, ground-mounted solar panels, and so much more.
Ground screw FAQ
Whatever you are building will have its unique requirements when it comes to the foundations. Our question and answers section can give you more information, but if you don’t find the answer, please contact us.
The main obstacle for screws overtaking concrete in many foundation projects, is simply because they are new and concrete is what builders are used to. This needs to change!
Our range of screws presents a compelling and practical substitute for concrete foundations, offering numerous strong advantages, especially in sustainable construction.
5 advantages of over concrete:
- Installation Speed: Screws can be installed much faster than concrete, which requires time for pouring and curing.
- Environmental Impact: Screws are less invasive and have a lower environmental impact compared to concrete foundations, as they don’t require extensive digging or soil displacement.
- Removability and Reusability: Unlike concrete, a ground screw can be easily removed and reused, making them a more flexible option for temporary or relocatable structures.
- Load-Bearing Capacity: High-quality ground screw foundations have strong load-bearing capacities, comparable to traditional concrete foundations.
- Cost-Effectiveness: In many cases, screws can be more cost-effective due to reduced labour and time.
Please remember, the suitability of earth screws versus concrete depends on the specific requirements of your project, including soil type, load requirements, and environmental conditions. For certain heavy-duty applications, concrete might still be the preferred choice.
The cost of a screw depends on which one you choose, and how many you need, depending on your projects requirements. When compared to other screws on the market, we believe RADIX offers superior quality and value.
RADIX PRO screws will range from 13.5kN to 66kN in load-bearing capacity.
All our screws are thoroughly tested to meet load, pressure and tension-bearing requirements. Our installation teams test the ground and do our calculations based on the structure the screw will be supporting. The total load capacity of the structure is spread through several screws. Contact us directly about the needs of your project.
The overall weight of your project and the ground conditions determine how deep a ground screw needs to be installed. Our screws come in lengths from 800mm to 2050mm, to be able to create strong and stable foundations in most soil types and for a wide variety of projects.
If we need to go deeper we can use our screw pile range to deliver your required project calculations. Please contact us to evaluate your project and help you choose the best screws for whatever you want to build.
An advantage of using our foundation systems compared to concrete, is not only the speed, efficiency and overall cost of installing them, but also in the fact that we can install them during the winter months even in frosted ground.
Please contact us to evaluate your project and give you a quote. Our range of screws is specifically designed to work in a variety of terrains, climates and soil conditions.
RADIX’s low-carbon foundations are versatile, and they can be used in a variety of surfaces. Accurate site surveys, ground testing and load testing should be carried out to help choose the right screws for your project.
- Soft Soils: Our screws work well in various soft soil types, including clay, silt, and loam, where they can easily penetrate and provide stable anchorage.
- Grassy or Unpaved Areas: They are ideal for installations in grassy fields, gardens, or other unpaved surfaces.
- Rocky or Very Hard Soils: In rocky terrains or extremely hard soils, pre-drilling might be necessary.
- Waterlogged or Marshy Areas: These conditions may require special consideration for stability and longevity, which our range of screws can provide.
- Highly Urbanised or Paved Areas: Installation into concrete or asphalt surfaces may require pre-drilling
The price depends on which screws your structure requires. Unlike other companies who just promote their range of screws based on price, we want to make sure you are using the correct screw for your particular project, while getting value and a cost-effective solution. Please be careful and don’t just buy cheap screws from a ground screw shop or online store, as they may lead to a problem with your structures integrity.
RADIX’s comprehensive range of foundation screws range are built to the highest standards, going through a rigorous testing and examination process. Once the correct screws are installed by our accredited and experienced installation teams, they will provide long-lasting, secure and stable foundations for your project.
Our foundation screws can be used for virtually any structure or fixture that needs to be anchored to the ground. From a house to a carport or small fence, a solar array or large scale battery energy storage system project, RADIX’s screw foundations are the best option.
Go to our applications page and see all the different things that can be build on top of our low-carbon foundations. (It is advisable to test the ground and factor in other key data, to make sure you are choosing the correct ground anchors for your foundations.)
Depending on soil conditions and the quality of the installation, our range of screws have an expected lifespan of 60+ years, and all come with a 35-year structural integrity guarantee.
There are many poor quality screws on the market, so it is imperative you choose a leading brand for your foundations. Look for the empirical data, engineers reports and other key technical information that proves the quality of the brand and their products.
The range of screws available in stores may serve a purpose for smaller projects but once again be aware of what they are capable of and choose a higher quality and more robust range that is suited for your application.
Our range of screws are manufactured from high quality steel and galvanised to BS EN ISO 1461: 2009 to ensure the surface of the screw is corrosion resistant for long term protection and increased life expectancy.
Yes. Our foundations can be installed year-round, but there are some seasonal considerations to keep in mind:
- Winter Conditions: In areas with severe winter weather, frozen or snow-covered ground can make installation more challenging. Specialised equipment or pre-drilling may be required to penetrate the frozen soil.
- Wet Conditions: During rainy seasons or in wet climates, the soil may be softer or waterlogged, which could affect the stability and installation process of the screws. Proper assessment and techniques are needed to ensure a secure installation.
- Summer and Dry Conditions: In contrast, during dry seasons or in arid regions, the ground may be harder, requiring more effort or different equipment to install the screws effectively.
- Professional Assessment: Regardless of the season, a professional assessment of the soil and environmental conditions is crucial to determine the best installation approach.
Overall, while seasonal variations can present certain challenges, with proper planning and equipment, installations can be successfully carried out in most weather and seasonal conditions. This is a stark contrast to concrete foundations, which is highly limited and not possible in certain conditions.
Yes, screws can be installed through tarmac!
- Pre-Drilling: A hole must first be drilled through the tarmac to accommodate the screw. This ensures a clean insertion and minimises damage to the surrounding tarmac.
- Appropriate Equipment: Using the right drilling equipment is crucial to penetrate the tarmac effectively without causing excessive damage or wear to the drill bit.
- Installation Care: Care must be taken during installation to ensure the ground anchor is properly aligned and inserted at the correct angle and depth.
- Assessing Underlying Soil: It’s important to assess the soil beneath the tarmac to ensure it can provide sufficient support and stability.
- Professional Installation: Due to the complexities involved, professional installation is recommended to ensure the foundations are installed correctly and safely.
From a sustainability perspective, ground screw foundations often have advantages over concrete piers:
- Lower Environmental Impact: Screws are less invasive to the soil, as they don’t require extensive excavation or concrete pouring. This reduces the disturbance to the local ecosystem and soil structure. The machinery used does not damage the surrounding landscapes and with no excavation there is no soil removal. Professional installations can easily navigate tree roots and other obstacles.
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: The production of concrete is energy-intensive and generates significant CO2 emissions. By avoiding concrete, screw foundations contribute to a lower carbon footprint. They have less embodied carbon than concrete alternatives.
- Reusability and Removability: Ground screw anchors can be removed and reused, offering a sustainable option for temporary structures or when changes are needed. This contrasts with concrete piers, which are permanent and create waste if removed.
- Less Resource Intensive: The installation of our foundations typically requires less machinery and energy compared to digging and setting concrete piers.
- No Water Usage: Concrete piers require water for mixing concrete, whereas our foundations do not, reducing water usage.
- Immediate Usability: Ground screw foundations are ready for use immediately after installation, unlike concrete, which requires time to cure. This efficiency reduces the overall environmental impact of construction projects.
While our range of screws offer these sustainability benefits, the best choice for your foundations depends on the specific requirements of the project, including load-bearing needs, soil conditions, and long-term objectives.
The name is all that is different, as they all do the same thing. However, be very careful with what you buy, as you are using these devices for foundations, and you cannot risk collapse or structural damage.
When choosing a screw or anchor for your foundation, it’s the brand that matters. Low-cost ground screws, anchor spikes, and ground anchors are not the same as our pro-range ground screws.
RADIX’s ground screws have gone through many changes over the years. We have redesigned them, sourced better materials and manufacturing processes to value-engineer the strongest and most reliable ground screw available.
Our prices are competitive and excellent value whilst being superior in quality.
Our screws can never be compared to the low-quality ground screws that you may find in a typical ground screw store.
Our range of screws not only work better than other types of foundations, they are faster to install, more eco-friendly, and deliver a more cost-effective solution. See all the advantages of ground screws and screw piles if you require further reassurance.
* Lifespan is based on a RADIX PRO 76x1550mm ground screw and typical C3 corrosion rates detailed in our technical information page.